Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursdays are for TV

Lent Challenge:  Day 2

Thursdays are television nights at the Dingman home.  Usually when I get home from rehearsal, Matt and I will talk while I pop some popcorn and then we’ll watch one, sometimes two, shows together.  I’m in Lincoln this evening after a long week of class and I’ll admit, there was a part of me that, after sitting through 4 days of lectures and 3 hours of research in the library, wanted to watch something that I didn’t force me to think.

I’ve been thinking about how these 40 days will change me.  My experience with Lent (which honestly has just been watching others participate in it half-heartedly) has not made me think there would be any reason to be different after the 40 days is over.  When I think of the typical “things” people sacrifice (pop, chocolate, even tv...), I wonder whether after 40 days those habits will simply be picked back up again with no intentional change.

I’m curious as to how this will shape me.  Make me into a different person.  How will this form me?  I’d like to think that perhaps I’ll be well-rested and well-read, but will I look more like Christ?

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.  2 Corinthians 3:17-18

Prayer for today:
Jesus,
Show me that in sacrifice there is freedom.  Teach me that when I walk in step with the Spirit, that I am free.  Transform me into the likeness of you through the power of your Spirit.  When I am unwilling, make me willing.  Move me so your glory can be seen.  Amen.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment