Thursday, September 24, 2009

For the Love of Raul

I am an introvert. It's not that I don't love people or want to live as a recluse or anything. I just renew my energy best by being alone. My husband, Matt, is also an introvert and to a greater degree than I. My daughter, Abigail, however, is quite the extrovert. And she is determined to bring the two of us out of our shell.

Abigail loves people. She is constantly asking who people are, introducing herself to them, and then, remarkably for a 3-year old, remembers them.

There are three restaurants that we frequent as a family where Abigail knows the owners. There is a lovely little Italian place by us that she likes to call "Uncle Pat's" where the owner Aaron actually introduced her to his parents one Sunday at lunch. There is a Subway between church and home where the owner, Purvey, always gives Abigail free cookies. When we pass the Subway, Abigail says, "I wonder if Purvey is there."

Then there is a wonderful Mexican restaurant (next to the Subway) where Raul works. Since Abigail was big enough to sit in a high chair, Raul has been rubbing Abigail's head and talking to her. Now, if I go into the restaurant without her, he says, "Where's the little one?" Before Abigail, I would have never had any kind of conversation with Raul. Not because of any racial or ethnic tension, but because of my own introverted personality.

That's what I thought anyway.

So, the other day we driving home from preschool and Abigail says, "Mommy, I want Raul to come over to play with me." Now, my first reaction was not good. I'm thinking there is no way Raul is coming to our house, lady. That is ridiculous. Well, we're in a series at church right now that is based on Mark 12:31 (Love your neighbor as yourself). I found myself analyzing why I didn't ever see that happening and really couldn't figure out why it couldn't....other than the semantics Abigail used that shouldn't be used when grown men and young girls are involved. Of course, I don't know that I'm going to be inviting Raul over any time soon, but I did actually think more about it not being out of the realm of possibility. It might take some time, but maybe I'll learn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment